02 May His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Posted at 16:53h in
Eight Verses of Training the Mind
- With a determination to accomplish
The highest welfare for all sentient beings
Who surpass even a wish-granting jewel
I will learn to hold them supremely dear.
- Whenever I associate with others I will learn
To think of myself as the lowest among all,
And respectfully hold others to be supreme
Form the very depths of my heart.
- In all actions I will learn to search into my mind
And as soon as an afflictive emotion arises
Endangering myself and othrs
Will firmly face and avert it.
- I will learn to cherish beings of a bad nature
And those pressed by strong sins and sufferings
As if I had found a precious
Treasure very difficult to find.
- When others out of jealousy
Treat me badly
With abuse, slander and so on
I will learn to take all loss
And offer the victory to them.
- When one whom I have benefitted with great hope
Unreasonably hurts me very badly
I will learn to view that person
As an excellent spiritual guide.
- In short, I will learn to offer to everyone without exception
All help and happiness directly and indirectly
And respectfully take upon myself
All harm and suffering of my mothers.
- I will learn to keep all these practices
Undefiled by the stains of the eight worldly conceptions
And by understanding all phenomena as illusions
Be released from the bondage of attachment.